Whitnash

Street Map

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Whitnash” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Whitnash is a small town contiguous with both Royal Leamington Spa and Warwick in Warwickshire, England. In 2001, it had a population of 7,798.

Whitnash is a very ancient settlement. Its earliest origins can be traced back to pre-Roman occupation. Whitnash has several possible origins as a place name. It could variously mean “at the white ash”, “place by the wood”, “sacred ash”, or even “meeting place of the wise”. However, the first meaning is the considered most likely to be correct.

By the time of the Domesday Survey in 1086, Whitnash was part of the Stoneleigh Hundreds area, and referred to as Witenas. The population consisted of 11 villagers and 8 smallholders. It remained a small village for many centuries, not even being connected to local towns by anything more than country lanes until around 1850.

Dramatic population growth began during the second half of the 20th century. In the space of a few decades, the population increased by over five times. Reflecting its much larger size, Whitnash became a town in 1972.

There is no real town centre in Whitnash. The focal point of the old village was the church of St. Margaret’s, and with Leamington Spa town centre only 2 miles to the north, a central district for Whitnash never developed and the town only expanded residentially. The church dates back to Saxon times, and has been greatly altered over the years. One of its most famous features was an enormous elm tree which dominated the open space in front of the church for many years. The tree had to be removed when it became dangerous. There are two other churches in the town, the Catholic St. Joseph’s and the Whitnash Methodist Church.

Another focal point was the village public house. The Plough and Harrow is a 17th century building that remains a pub to this day. There are now two other pubs in Whitnash, The Heathcote and The Hodcarrier, which are much more modern.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.