Tag Archives: Oxfordshire

Oxford, Radcliffe Infirmary

Historic hospital in Oxford. 1759-70, by Stiff Leadbetter, and founded on the benefaction of Dr. John Radcliffe. 3-storeyed Headington ashlar with attics in a Welsh slate mansard roof. 5-part facade with projecting cross-wings of two windows wide to each end and a slightly projecting frontispiece, three windows wide capped with pediment. Ground floor entrance of […]

Oxford, Headington Hill Hall

Historic country house in Oxford.  c1856-8 by John Thomas for James Morrell, a local brewer; built by Joseph Castle. 1872, interior extensively remodelled for G.H. Morrell by local architect William Wilkinson. Pale yellow brick with stone dressings and ashlar central bay to entrance front; ashlar with stone dressings to other facades. Tiled mansard roof having […]

Oxford, St Giles House, Garden House

Historic college in Oxford.  Incorporates Radcliffe Camera dome model, c.1740. Ashlar with lead covered dome. Rectangular plan. 4 composite columns, the centre two projecting, support an entablature and central pediment. Sides also open but back has panelled walling. The very fine small dome above is a l”:l’ model of James Gibbs’ first design for the […]

Oxford, Campion Hall

Historic building in Oxford. Private Hall. Late C16/early C17 with later alterations and wing of 1934-6. Built to designs of Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1934-6 and incorporating, on the West, part of a C17 house, once known as Micklen Hall. 3-storeyed Clipsham Ashlar on a semi-basement, and including a chapel.

Oxford, Hertford College

West range East range Historic college in Oxford. Founded as a theological college by the Congregationalists in 1886. Built in Milton ashlar in 1887-89 on 3 sides of a square facing South, to the late Gothic designs of Basil Champneys, Robert Bridgeman being the carver. East range of 2 buildings, c1605. It was altered in […]

Oxford, Mansfield College

Historic college in Oxford.  Founded as a theological college by the Congregationalists in 1886. Built in Milton ashlar in 1887-89 on 3 sides of a square facing South, to the late Gothic designs of Basil Champneys, Robert Bridgeman being the carver.

Oxford, St Peter’s College

Historic college in Oxford. Master Lodge (formerly Oxford Canal Office): 1827-29, by Tawney; SW & NW sides consist of 5-storeyed Headington Ashlar with a rusticated ground floor, Doric pilasters and moulded cornice above which is the top storey.

Oxford Castle

Well chamber St George’s Tower and Chapel Crypt D block with Debtor’s Tower C block with Round Tower Motte to former castle in Oxford, with Well Chamber. Mound, c1071 as the motte of Oxford Castle built for Robert d’Oilly to provide a means for the Normans to control the town and the Upper Thames Valley; […]

Oxford, Church of St Cross

Historic church in Oxford. C11-C12 chancel. Mid C13 W tower with top stage of 1464; N arcade and aisle rebuilt in mid C15. Restored C19.

Oxford, Church of St Barnabus

Historic church in Oxford. 1868-9 by Arthur Blomfield. Campanile 1872 (reroofed with a lower pitched roof 1893). Morning chapel (now Lady Chapel) and N aisle erected 1888-9. The style is Italianate Romanesque, in complete contrast to the prevalent Gothic style of church-building in the 1860s. The other fundamental characteristic of the exterior is the use […]