Tag Archives: Grade one listed building

Oxford, Judge’s Lodging

Historic building in Oxford. 1702. 2-storeyed ashlar (refaced in 1932) with cellars and rusticated quoins. Moulded cornice, pedimented centrepiece and a stone slate roof in which are 4 gabled attic dormers.  In front are stone moulded gate piers with a wrought iron gate and railings on a stone base.

Oxford Castle

Well chamber St George’s Tower and Chapel Crypt D block with Debtor’s Tower C block with Round Tower Motte to former castle in Oxford, with Well Chamber. Mound, c1071 as the motte of Oxford Castle built for Robert d’Oilly to provide a means for the Normans to control the town and the Upper Thames Valley; […]

Oxford, Church of St Cross

Historic church in Oxford. C11-C12 chancel. Mid C13 W tower with top stage of 1464; N arcade and aisle rebuilt in mid C15. Restored C19.

Oxford, Church of St Barnabus

Historic church in Oxford. 1868-9 by Arthur Blomfield. Campanile 1872 (reroofed with a lower pitched roof 1893). Morning chapel (now Lady Chapel) and N aisle erected 1888-9. The style is Italianate Romanesque, in complete contrast to the prevalent Gothic style of church-building in the 1860s. The other fundamental characteristic of the exterior is the use […]

Oxford, Bartlemas Chapel

Chapel of the hospital for lepers founded by Henry I; rebuilt early C14 by Oriel College who received it from their founder Adam de Brome; restored c1651; W door C14; roof timbers C15. Bartlemas House: Part of St Bartholomew’s Hospital, rebuilt by Oriel College in 1649. 2-storeyed rubble in a long rectangular plan originally giving […]

Oxford, St Michael at Northgate

Historic church in Oxford. West tower built of Coral Rag in early-mid C11; C13 chancel, to which a S chapel was added c1280 and which was extended to W in C14 and heightened in 1854. Early C14 North chapel and transept; late C15 N and S arcade and N aisle; church restored and partially rebuilt […]

Oxford, Old Clarendon Building

Main building Screen to Bodleian Library Historic building in Oxford. 1711-13 in Headington free stone and patched and restored in Clipsham stone in 1909. Hawksmoor received £100 in 1715 to “gratify” him, presumably in his capacity as overseer. The cost of the building was borne by the University from the profits of Lord Clarendon’s History […]

Oxford, Ashmolean Museum

Museum Entrance screen and steps Historic building in Oxford. The combined building housing the Taylor Institution and the original “University Galleries” (now incorporated as the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archeology) occupies the site on the corner of St Giles’s Street and Beaumont Street. It was built in 1841-45 to the Neo-Greek designs of Charles […]

Oxford, Christ Church Cathedral

Medieval cathedral in Oxford Built as priory church of Austin Canons after mid C12. Early C13 top stage and spire of central tower; mid C13 Lady Chapel, as North aisle of presbytery; c1330 chapel of St Lucy extended; late C15 clerestory; West end destroyed 1524-29 to make room for Wolsey’s college. Refitted and restored, most […]

Oxford, Church of St Mary the Virgin

Historic church in Oxford. N tower, c1280, with spire circa 1315 (partially rebuilt 1495-6, with later repairs). The Congregation House, with Library in upper storey, c1320. N chapel, on W of tower, c1328. Chancel, naves and aisles C15. Church restored by Scott in 1861, including refacing. Of historic importance for its connections with the Oxford […]