Tag Archives: college

Oxford, Hertford College

West range East range Historic college in Oxford. Founded as a theological college by the Congregationalists in 1886. Built in Milton ashlar in 1887-89 on 3 sides of a square facing South, to the late Gothic designs of Basil Champneys, Robert Bridgeman being the carver. East range of 2 buildings, c1605. It was altered in […]

Oxford, Mansfield College

Historic college in Oxford.  Founded as a theological college by the Congregationalists in 1886. Built in Milton ashlar in 1887-89 on 3 sides of a square facing South, to the late Gothic designs of Basil Champneys, Robert Bridgeman being the carver.

Oxford, St Peter’s College

Historic college in Oxford. Master Lodge (formerly Oxford Canal Office): 1827-29, by Tawney; SW & NW sides consist of 5-storeyed Headington Ashlar with a rusticated ground floor, Doric pilasters and moulded cornice above which is the top storey.

Oxford, Church of St Mary the Virgin

Historic church in Oxford. N tower, c1280, with spire circa 1315 (partially rebuilt 1495-6, with later repairs). The Congregation House, with Library in upper storey, c1320. N chapel, on W of tower, c1328. Chancel, naves and aisles C15. Church restored by Scott in 1861, including refacing. Of historic importance for its connections with the Oxford […]

Oxford, Church of St Mary Magdalen

Historic building in Oxford. Late C13 chancel. South chapel, circa 1330. N and S aisles arcades rebuilt early in Cl6, W tower 1511-1531; S porch, early Cl6. Restored, 1840-1913. C19 restoration was as a memorial to the Oxford Martyrs.

Oxford, Church of St Giles

Historic building in Oxford. Late Cl2 west tower. Early C13 chancel (North and east walls of which were rebuilt late in C13), north and south aisles and arcades and south porch. Nave walls raised C15-C16. Early C13 font and C17 and C18 monuments, Church restored (by H J Underwood), 1850-2, and in 1920.  

Oxford, Old Palace

Historic building in Oxford. Main range c1622-8 by Thomas Smith, incorporating the core of an earlier structure; W range an earlier house of C16-C17. 3-storeyed timber-framed except for the East elevation and the 2 lower storeys of the South wall, which are of stone.   “…houses the Roman Catholic Chaplaincy. It was named after Robert […]

Oxford, Church of St John the Evangelist

Historic church in Oxford. 1896, by G F Bodley. One of his finest churches and principal works, with Morris Style decoration. 4 bay nave with very plain arcades. North and South aisles. Clerestorey. Castellated West tower. Screen, 3 bay choir. Decorated timber roof. The whole of ashlar with a tiled roof.

Oxford, Botanic Gardens

Library & Herbarium Wall between Main Gate and Magdalen College Bursary Danby Gateway Wall to E of Magdalen College Bursary Garden wall and the East and West Gateways Garden Historic building in Oxford. South was originally one storey as eastern-most orangery, 1733-35, by William Townesend. It was raised by one storey when H J Underwood […]

Oxford, High St, 126

Historic building in Oxford. House and shop. C15 with a late C17 front. The only one of this kind of excellent street architecture which remains in Oxford. 3-storeyed plastered timber-framing over cellars and with a gabled dormer.