Preesall

Street Map

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Preesall” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Preesall is a town and civil parish in Lancashire, England. The parish (until 1910 known as Preesall with Hackensall) covers the eastern bank of the estuary of the River Wyre, including Knott End-on-Sea, Pilling Lane and the village of Preesall itself. The parish of Preesall had a population of 5,314 recorded in the 2001 census.

There is evidence that the eastern side of the River Wyre was occupied during the Danish invasions of the 9th and 10th centuries. Preesall is mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) as being a part of the Hundred of Amounderness and the Domesday place name is given as Pressouede.

The names Preesall and Hackensall are both probably Norse in origin, with Preesall meaning “a hill and a heath” and Hackensall probably deriving from “Haakon”, a Viking seafarer who sailed up the River Wyre and set up an encampment in the 10th century. In 1190 the land was granted to a bowman in the service of Prince John, and in the 16th century, the land, like much in this area, passed into the possession of the Fleetwood family. Richard Fleetwood built Hackensall Hall in 1656 after their home at Rossall Hall was flooded. Nearby Parrox Hall was built about the same time, and has been in the possession of the Elletson family since 1690.

Preesall was an urban district from 1900 to 1974. It was also known as Preesall-With-Hackensall. It was abolished in 1974 and amalgamated under the Local Government Act 1972 to form part of the district of Wyre, but retained its own mayor and town council.

The beach surrounding Pilling, Preesall and Knott-End is known as Preesall Beach. Preesall is protected from high tides by a sea defence known as the “Sea Wall”. There is a path on the sea wall that leads from Knott End-on-Sea to Pilling and at a point next to Preesall pumping station, the sea wall goes over an old, now filled in, stone pillbox from World War II which is camouflaged among the rocks.

West of the village itself lies a number of bodies of water, known locally as The Flashes. These are a remnant of the brine mining industry which flourished in the area.

Preesall has three pubs: the Saracens Head, the Fernhill and the Black Bull. The Fernhill is currently closed.

Preesall used to lie on the long closed Garstang and Knot-End Railway which was built to provide an outlet for farmers in Over Wyre to transport their produce up and down the country. This section of the line opened on 30 July 1908, along with Preesall railway station. However, the line closed to passengers on 29 March 1930.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.