Partington

Street Map

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Partington Manchester” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Partington is a town and civil parish within the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford in Greater Manchester, England, about 10 miles (16 km) to the south-west of Manchester city centre. Historically a part of Cheshire, it lies on the southern bank of the Manchester Ship Canal, opposite Cadishead on the northern bank. It has a population of 7,327.

A paper mill built in Partington more than 250 years ago was the first factory in Trafford. The completion of the Manchester Ship Canal in 1894 transformed Partington into a major coal-exporting port and attracted a range of other industries. Until 2007 Shell Chemicals UK operated a major petrochemicals manufacturing complex in Carrington, Partington’s closest neighbour, to the east. The gas storage facility in the north-eastern corner of the town was once a gasworks and another significant employer.

Shortly after the Second World War, local authorities made an effort to rehouse people away from Victorian slums in inner-city Manchester. An area of Partington extended as an overspill estate is now one of the most deprived parts of the Greater Manchester conurbation. The Cheshire Lines Committee opened a railway line through the town in 1873, but it closed in 1964.

Partington and Carrington Youth Partnership was established to provide the town’s youth with activities and the town has seen investment in a new youth centre. Broadoak Secondary School, the only secondary school in the town, is used by Trafford College to provide further education.

Partington, first recorded in 1260, was in the medieval and post-medieval parish of Bowdon. The name derives from Old English: the first element may be a personal name such as Pearta or Pærta, or part “land divided up into partitions” followed by inga, meaning “people of”; the suffix tun means “farmstead”. The village consisted of dispersed farmsteads, with no nucleated centre. It was surrounded by wetlands on all sides, reducing the amount of land available for agriculture. According to the hearth tax returns of 1664, Partington had a population of 99.

In 1755 a paper mill opened in Partington, on the River Mersey, and became the first factory established in Trafford. Erlam Farmhouse dates from the late 18th century and is a Grade II listed building. Also protected as a Grade II listed building are the stocks on the village green. Its stone pillars are from the18th century, although the wooden restraints were replaced in the 20th century.

The completion of the Manchester Ship Canal in 1894 transformed Partington into a major coal-exporting port. The canal was widened to 250 feet (76 m) for three-quarters of a mile (1.2 km) to allow for the construction of a coaling basin, equipped with four hydraulic coal hoists. Partington was the nearest port to the Lancashire Coalfields, and brought the south Yorkshire collieries 30 miles (48 km) closer to the sea. Between 1898–1911, exports of coal accounted for 53.4% of the total export tonnage carried by the ship canal. The coal trade in turn resulted in Partington becoming a major railway depot, and attracted a range of other industries, including the Partington Steel & Iron Company, which was encouraged by the availability of coal to construct a steelworks. The works became a part of the Lancashire Steel Corporation in 1930, and dominated the economy of nearby Irlam until their closure in 1976. After the Second World War, Partington was extended as an overspill estate.

The civil parish parish of Partington was created in 1894, under the Local Government Act 1894 and has its own town council. Partington became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford in 1974 upon the borough’s creation, but was previously in Bucklow Rural District.

Partington also belongs to the Stretford and Urmston constituency and is part of the North West England constituency of the European Parliament.

Partington is on the Trafford’s northern border with the City of Salford, 9 miles (14 km) south-west of Manchester city centre. Sinderland Brook runs east–west through the area, and the town is about 20 m (66 ft) above sea level on generally flat ground.

Partington’s local drift geology is a mixture of alluvial deposits, fluvio-glacial gravel, and peat deposited about 10,000 years ago, during the last ice age. The bedrock is Keuper sandstone in the south and Bunter sandstone in the north.

Partington compared
2001 UK census Partington Trafford England
Total population 7,723 205,357 49,138,831
White 96.9% 89.7% 90.9%
Asian 0.9% 4.6% 4.6%
Black 0.6% 0.7% 2.3%

According to the Office for National Statistics, at the time of the United Kingdom Census 2001, Partington had a population of 7,723. It has been described as one of the most deprived places in the Greater Manchester conurbation.

Population growth in Partington since 1801
Year 1801 1811 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911 1921 1931 1951 1961 1971 1981 2001
Population 358 412 434 466 457 485 445 511 438 576 587 758 605 816 957 6,514 9,276 9,109 7,327

The main shopping area of Partington is on Central Road, in the centre of town. Partington also has its own traditional market on Smithy Lane.

Partington’s main road is the A6144 between Lymm and the Brooklands area of Sale. The Manchester Ship Canal also carries some industrial traffic. The nearest road crossing over the canal is at Warburton Bridge, one of the few remaining pre-motorway toll bridges in the UK, and the only one in Greater Manchester. The Department for Transport describes Partington as “geographically isolated with road access restricted by the proximity of the Manchester Ship Canal and the nearby petrochemical works [in Carrington]” and notes that there are low levels of car ownership.  The 255 operates every 30 minutes during the day, and hourly after 1955 into Manchester Piccadilly 7 days a week

The town was served by a railway station to the north of the town, the Cheshire Lines Committee Glazebrook to Stockport Tiviot Dale Line. The station was opened in 1873, eight years after the line opened, and was in use until 30 November 1964. A grant of £312,000 was made by the government to set up Partington Cooperative Transport (PACT) with the purpose of improving public transport in the town.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.