Historic building in Oxford. 1772-1795, to the designs of Henry Keene from the benefaction of Dr John Radcliffe in “a calm and retired locality”. James Wyatt, who succeeded Keene as architect, altered some of the external parts and raised the upper octagon building, basing it on the design of the Tower of the Winds. The 3rd storey consists of the octagonal tower, with 8 sculptures of the winds on the entablature and a large globe supported by bronze figures of Hercules and Atlas at the top. A curved covered way on the ground floor joins the East wing of the Observatory with the Observer’s House on the E. By Henry Keene. Ashlar. 2 storeys and attic. 3 windows, sashes with glazing bars. Central rusticated doorway. Hipped tiled roof behind low parapet with cornice.house on the East. Now part of the Green Templeton College.