Oxford, Queens College

Street Map

Historic building in Oxford.

Listing Info Front quadrangle, North range (including hall & chapel): Built 1714-19 by William Townesend. Refaced in Bath stone 1884; the bell turret and cupola rebuilt in Clipsham stone, 1911.

Listing Info Front quadrangle, South range: Screen and cupola 1733-35 designed by Hawksmoor, built by Townesend, and Benjamain Franklin, the carpenter. Statue of Queen Caroline over gateway and statues over East pediment by Henry Cheeve, all in Portland stone.

Listing Info Front quadrangle, East range: The half of the South staircase 1733-35. The centre and North part, the Michael building, 1757-60, by William Townesend (grandson) and King, masons with Robert Tawney, carpenter.

Listing Info Front quadrangle, West range: Built 1709-11, William Townesend with Jeremiah Franklin as carpenter; inner facade refaced. Includes the Provost’s Lodging and Common Rooms. Partly burnt out and rebuilt 1778 and again the same in 1886.

Listing Info Back quadrangle, North range: Built in 1707; John Townesend was probably the mason.

Listing Info Back quadrangle, South range: Built partly in 1707 and made a whole range later, the Kitchen on the West being built in 1715 by William Townesend and the Block to the East in 1719-21.

Listing Info Back quadrangle, East range: The Williamson Building to the North and facing on to Queen’s Lane was built in 1672 at the cost of Sir Joseph Williamson (DNB) to the design of Wren, the master mason being Anthony Deane of Uffington. The inner side of the range was built on the site of the loggia of the Williamson Building in 1719-21 to square with the South range, at which time also an additional storey was added to the Williamson Building.

Listing Info Back quadrangle, West range: The Library built in 1692-94 possibly to design of Dean Aldrich; it has been refaced in Clipsham stone. The master mason was John Townesend, Thomas Heughes the carpenter and the joiners Thomas Minn, senior and junior. The ground floor had an open loggia but was enclosed by C R Cockerell in 1843.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.