Historic church in Oxford. N tower, c1280, with spire circa 1315 (partially rebuilt 1495-6, with later repairs). The Congregation House, with Library in upper storey, c1320. N chapel, on W of tower, c1328. Chancel, naves and aisles C15. Church restored by Scott in 1861, including refacing. Of historic importance for its connections with the Oxford Movement. J H Newman was Vicar of St Mary’s from 1828 to his retirement in 1843; a
lso the scene of Thomas Cranmer’s trial and recantation in 1555.