Historic building in Oxford. South was originally one storey as eastern-most orangery, 1733-35, by William Townesend. It was raised by one storey when H J Underwood designed the porter’s lodge on the west and the N elevation, c1835. S elevation now consists of 2-storeyed ashlar with a moulded cornice at the 1st floor and a parapet with a moulded cornice below it. N elevation is 2-storeyed ashlar on a rusticated ground floor and having a centre piece of 4 engaged Doric columns breaking forward, a moulded entablature and a parapet. Wall between Main Gate and Magdalen College Bursary: Cl7/C18. Ashlar, including a small doorway with vermiculated surround. Danby Gateway: 1632 by Nicholas Stone in Headington Freestone. Cl7/Cl8. Ashlar, with a vase finial at the river end. Wall to E of Magdalen College: Cl7/Cl8. Ashlar, with a vase finial at the river end. Garden wall and the East and West Gateways: C17 and later. Garden: early C17 walled university physic garden, the oldest of its kind in Britain.
Oxford, Botanic Gardens
Published by Clanger's England On 27 October, 2013