Listing Info Museum
Listing Info Entrance screen and steps
Historic building in Oxford. The combined building housing the Taylor Institution and the original “University Galleries” (now incorporated as the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archeology) occupies the site on the corner of St Giles’s Street and Beaumont Street. It was built in 1841-45 to the Neo-Greek designs of Charles Robert Cockerell in Bath (Box Ground) stone on a plinth of Permian sandstone with the columns, pilasters and entablatures of Portland stone and decorations in terra-cotta. Extended many times between late C19 and early C21.