Nailsworth is a town in Gloucestershire, England, lying in one of the Stroud Valleys in the Cotswolds. It has a population of around 6,600 people (2005) and lies on the A46 road.
Nailsworth is surrounded by the Cotswolds AONB.
In ancient times it was a settlement at the confluence of the Avening Valley and the Woodchester Valley, on the Nailsworth Stream; among many notable historic buildings of medieval times in the area notable are Beverston Castle and Owlpen Manor.
In the modern era Nailsworth was a small mill town and centre for brewing. It was connected directly to the UK national rail network between 1867 and 1947 with a station that was the terminus of the Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway.
These days Nailsworth is sleepy and tranquil, visited in the summer by walkers, and holding a farmers’ market every fourth Saturday in the month. Local events like the market and the Nailsworth Festival are announced by the town crier.
Over the past decade the small town centre has been reinvigorated and besides numerous restaurants and cafes now boasts a number of unusual and high-quality shops, you will find two bakers, a delicatessen with a fishmonger, two hardware stores, two butchers, craft shops, bookshops, art galleries and a gardening shop. Nailsworth is a Fairtrade Town. Nailsworth is twinned with the French village of Lèves and an exchange visit takes place every year alternating between Nailsworth and Lèves.
Forest Green Rovers are the biggest football club playing in Nailsworth and currently play in the Conference National, one level below the Football League.
The church built on the higher ground at the centre of town is St. George’s and dates from 1900.
The Baptist chapel at Shortwood was rebuilt in 1837 and, in spite of the emigration of over 80 members to Adelaide between 1838 and 1840, the adult congregation was at least 1,000 in 1851. In 1864 a dispute over a new minister led to the secession of some members who built their own chapel, opened in 1868, on Bristol Road, known as the Nailsworth Tabernacle Church. In 1910 the community rejoined the original Baptist church.
In 1967 the Shortwoood congregation united with the Forest Green Congregationalists to form a new church called Christ Church, Nailsworth. Services alternated for a few years with the Lower Forest Green Chapel, but the chapel on Newmarket Road, after modernization, became the permanent place of worship in 1972. In that year Christ Church became a member of the new United Reformed Church, although retaining its links with the Baptist Union. It had a membership of 147 in 1973.