Mirfield

Street Map

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Mirfield” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Mirfield is a small town and civil parish within the Metropolitan Borough of Kirklees, in West Yorkshire, England. It is located on the A644 road between Brighouse and Dewsbury. In the 2001 census it was recorded as having a total resident population of 18,621.

The town is served by Mirfield railway station.

From 1894 to 1974, Mirfield was an urban district in the West Riding of Yorkshire until it was merged into the Metropolitan Borough of Kirklees. In 1988 a parish council was formed The members elect a town mayor, who serves for a fixed one year term.

Mirfield is a Fairtrade Town.

Mirfield Show is an annual agricultural event held on the third Sunday in August at Mirfield showground. It is organised and run by the Mirfield Agricultural Society (MAS) as a non-profit making event for the families of Mirfield and district.

Local residents introduced the Mirfield Food & Craft Fayre in April 2012, scheduled to be run the last Saturday of each month and “help raise the profile of Mirfield, be a benefit to local traders, businesses, organisations and charities, and add more destination events to the Yorkshire calendar“.

The 13th century St Mary’s Church was rebuilt in 1826 but proved too small for the growing population, and was regarded as too mean for the growing district. A new church, designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, was built a few yards to the northwest, on the site of Castle Hall, a mansion which was home to the families of Mirfields (sometimes spelled Mirfin), Hetons and Beaumonts. At Scott’s suggestion, the tower of the earlier church, which retains some medieval work, was retained. The College of the Resurrection was where Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, lectured from 1975 for two years and where Archbishop Trevor Huddleston spent his last days.

During the 18th century, a canal was constructed through the town linking the River Calder with other rivers in the area. The canal is part of the Calder and Hebble Navigation. Its construction resulted in many industries in Mirfield, such as the textiles and boat yards. The canal is still in use for recreational users.

Mirfield is the base of the Safe Anchor Trust, a charity founded in 1995 to provide canal boat trips for vulnerable and special needs people. In 2012, Princess Anne commissioned a new boat for the Trust.

The town is twinned with Náchod, Czech Republic.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.