Market Bosworth

Street Map

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Market Bosworth” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Market Bosworth is a small market town and civil parish in Leicestershire, England.

Until 1974 it contained the headquarters of Market Bosworth Rural District, which was merged in that year with the Hinckley Rural District to form a new district named Hinckley and Bosworth. At the time of the 2001 Census, the parish, including Far Coton, held a total population of 1,906.

Building work at the old Cattle Market and other sites have revealed evidence of settlement on the hill since the Bronze Age. Remains of a Roman villa have been found on the east side of Barton Road. Bosworth as an Anglo-Saxon village dates from the 8th century.

Prior to the Norman Conquest of 1066, there were two manors at Bosworth one belonging to an Anglo-Saxon knight named Fernot, and some sokemen. Following the Norman conquest, as recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, both the Anglo-Saxon manors and the village were part of the lands awarded by William the Conqueror to a Count of Meulan from Normandy, Robert de Beaumont, 1st Earl of Leicester. Subsequently the village passed as a marriage dowry to the English branch of the French House of Harcourt.

King Edward I gave a royal charter to Sir William Harcourt allowing a market to be held every Wednesday. The village took the name Market Bosworth from 12 May 1285, and on this day became a “Town” by common definition. The two oldest buildings in Bosworth, St. Peter’s church and the Red Lion pub, were built during the 14th Century.

The Battle of Bosworth took place to south of the town in 1485 as the final battle in the Wars of the Roses between the House of Lancaster and the House of York. In 1509 the manor passed from the Harcourts to the Grey family.

In 1554, following the beheading of Lady Jane Grey, the manor of Bosworth was among lands confiscated in the name of Mary I of England and her husband Philip II of Spain. They awarded the manor to the Catholic nobleman Edward Hastings. In 1567, his heirs sold it to Sir Wolstan Dixie, Lord Mayor of London, who never lived in Bosworth. The first Dixie to live in Bosworth was his grand-nephew, Sir Wolstan Dixie of Appleby Magna, who moved to the town in 1608. He started construction of a manor house and park, as well as establishing the free Dixie Grammar School. The modern hall, Bosworth Hall, was the work of Sir Beaumont Dixie, 2nd Baronet (1629–1692).

In 1885 the 11th Baronet ‘Beau’ Dixie was forced to auction Bosworth Hall to pay his gambling debts. It was bought by Lady Agnes Tollemache, whose husband Charles Tollemache Scott enlarged the estate, planted woodlands and rebuilt the lodges and farms. Lady Agnes’ daughter sold the estate in 1913.

The War Memorial in the town square honors 19 local men who died in the First World War, and 11 men dead in the Second World War.

The market square located in the centre of the village is surrounded by amenities, including various small independent shops, a bank and a post office. A regular market takes place on Wednesdays. The village also has three schools; The Market Bosworth Primary and Junior School, the Market Bosworth High School, and the private Dixie Grammar School. As well as three churches; Anglican, Catholic and Free Church, a fire station, and a hotel.

There are four main pubs within the village; The Black Horse – which has recentlybeen renovated and serves high quality food. The Dixie Arms Hotel – a Marston’s pub that also has an Italian pizzeria. And the Red Lion – Bosworth’s oldest building, which occasionally hosts a real ale festival. There are two take-aways; The Batter of Bosworth, which has won many awards for cleanliness, quality and service. Several customers have been so impressed with the chips that they have decided to have them supply the food at their weddings. And, next door, Tin Tin, a Cantonese takeway. Next to the take-aways is the village’s fourth pub, the King William IV.

Market Bosworth Country Park and a water trust offer outside recreation, and the village is currently having a golf course built in the surrounding fields. The site of the Battle of Bosworth is just a few minutes South of the town. Going out of Bosworth westwards on the B585, the steam Battlefield Line Railway runs at weekends from Shackerstone, not stopping opposite the old Market Bosworth station (now a garage) to Shenton. The Ashby Canal runs adjacent to the railway.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.