Ingleby Barwick

Street Map

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Ingleby Barwick” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Ingleby Barwick (pron.: /ˈbɑrɪk/) is a large private residential estate and civil parish built on what was the southern perimeter of Thornaby airfield in the borough of Stockton-on-Tees and ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. The estate is enclosed by water to the west, north and east. It was officially opened in 1981 by the mayor of Langbaurgh.

Although the development of Ingleby Barwick, as the housing estate which is present today, did not start until the late 1970s, the land has been occupied for thousands of years. Ingleby Barwick has a ceremonial Coat of Arms. The arms contain a representation of the three rivers that run around Ingleby Barwick. It also depicts mill-rinds which are an historical link to the Turner family, who used to own the land which now forms Ingleby Barwick. The crest shows a Teal bird which refers to Teal a horse, trained at Middleham by Captain Neville Crump, which won the Grand National in 1952.

There are traces of human occupation from as far back as the Stone Age. Work at Quarry farm has discovered prolific concentrations of multi period flintwork along the South Bank of the River Tees in this area. Traces of Iron Age field patterns were discovered, also at Quarry Farm. A salvage excavation was carried out in the Windmills Fields area of the town at the end of 1996. Five individual burials were found along with a wooden cist, these finds were accompanied by objects containing stone, jet and copper alloy of high status. This site was considered of European significance as it threw new light on the settlement of the area in the Bronze age and highlighted a change in tradition of burial traditions and trade networks at this time. Roman settlement is also apparent in the town and a Roman Villa circa 200 AD, perhaps the most northerly in UK, was excavated in part. This has been preserved as a grassed area in The Forum area of Ingleby Barwick.

The name Ingleby Barwick is derived from both Viking and Saxon place names. Ingleby is derived from Old Norse Englar+by and means ‘farmstead or village of the English man’, Barwick is Saxon in origin, Bere is Saxon for barley and Wick means farm. This suggests that the area was affected by both the Viking and Saxon invasions.It may have been that until the 17th century, Ingleby and Barwick were two separate places. After the Norman invasion The Manor of Barwick was given to Robert Malet the son of William Malet, King William’s great chamberlain. In the 13th century the land was owned by the Priors of Guisborough & Jervaulx until the dissolution of monasteries. Between the 14th and 16th centuries landowners included the Percys of Northumberland and the Parrs of Nottingham. The Middle Ages are considered to have ended with the Renaissance in the mid 15th century

In the 17th century the Manor of Barwick was sold to Sir Thomas Lynch, Governor of Jamaica and then to Sir William Turner of Kirkleatham. The land remaining in the ownership of the Turner’s, with profits from the land used to support the free school and hospital at Kirkleatham, until it was sold in the 19th century.

Ingleby Barwick is listed as being a township in the parish of Stainton in 1887. Its population was given as 132. During this time the land was sold off by the Turner estate.

During the Second World War Ingleby Barwick stood near to the south western perimeter of Thornaby Airfield and, a number of aircraft crashed where Ingleby Barwick housing estate now stands. On 11 June 1940 a Coastal Command Lockheed Hudson crashed at Quarry Farm killing the four crew after the bomb load exploded on crashing. On 28 April 1941 a Bristol Blenheim crashed at Barwick Lane killing all three crew. On 18 December 1941 a Lockheed Hudson stalled soon after take off and crashed into Quarry Farm killing the five crew and four civilians. On 4 September 1942 a Lockheed Hudson crashed at Myton House Farm killing the four crew. The last aircraft accident was a Photo Reconnaissance de Haviland Mosquito which was attempting to land at Thornaby on one engine and crashed into land which is now home to Ingleby Mill School on 11 November 1943 killing both crew members, there is now a stone marking the crash site.

In 1969 Yarmside Holdings bought land for housing and the first houses were built at Lowfields in the late 1970s.

Since then there has been a major undertaking to build new housing and at one time Ingleby Barwick was reputed to be the largest Private Housing Estate in Europe.

Ingleby Barwick has six borough councillors representing two wards.

Ingleby Barwick has also a Parish Council, now restyled Town Council, with 12 Town Councillors.

Ingleby Barwick is represented in the House of Commons via the Stockton South constituency).

Ingleby Barwick consists largely of owner-occupied properties, along with a small number of purpose built rental properties.

The estate is divided into six “villages”. These are not villages in the true sense of the word, but rather six geographic areas.

Ingleby Barwick is almost entirely surrounded by small rivers or streams. It is bordered by the Leven to the West, the Tees to the North, and Bassleton Beck to the East.

Continued development of the area means the population of the town is expanding dramatically. The most recent estimates put the population of Ingleby Barwick at 21,860 in 2010.[21]

Year 1881 1891 1901 1911 1921 1931 1951 1961 2001
Population 132 115 124 147 118 133 141 113 16,280
Historical population of Ingleby Barwick
Source:

Ingleby Barwick has numerous local amenities. Lowfields village has primary school (Whinstone Primary School), a Post Offce within the Tesco owned OneStop convenience store, a public house (“The Teal”)and other shops/take-aways. Beckfields village contains a community centre, public house, and a small parade of shops. Within Ingleby Barwick centre there is a large 24hr Tesco store, an Anglican Church dedicated to St Francis of Assisi, and associated centre. Ingleby Barwick Community Campus which includes All Saints’ Secondary School and a Library are also situated within the centre. In 1997 a Bannatyne’s health club was built to the west of Tesco.

Also within the estate are shops, six primary schools, three Public Houses and a 9 hole golf course (which includes a golf driving range)

In November 2007 Stockton on Tees Borough Council approved the plans to build St. Therese of Lisieux Catholic parish church next to the primary school of the same name, where services will continue to be held until funds can be obtained for the construction of the new church.

Romano Park is situated on the land between Tesco and Barley Field primary school.

There are collections of local shops including One Stop and take-aways in the Lowfields and the Beckfields areas, and also at Myton Park on Myton Road. A Tesco “Superstore” supermarket is also present at the Myton Park site.

Road. The A19 dual carriageway, one of the two main north -south roads of the north-east of England, is about 1.5 miles away.

Ingleby Barwick faces a number of problems, including traffic congestion at peak times. These are particularly a concern around Ingleby Barwick centre, and the exit on to Low Lane. Speeding is also a significant problem within the estate. On 15 July 2011, 9 year old Brandon Maggs died after being hit by a car on Roundhill Avenue. This prompted residents to launch a campaign to reduce speeding on the main estate roads. mentioned in the 1986 Domesday project. Anti-social behaviour is currently a problem on the estate, particularly around the local supermarket Tesco, other shopping areas, and Romano Park. There have been a few reported incidents of muggings and assaults on the estate between 2005 to date.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.