Hailsham

Street Map

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Hailsham” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Hailsham is a civil parish and the largest of the five main towns in the Wealden district of East Sussex, England. Mentioned in the Domesday Book, the town of Hailsham has had a long history of industry and agriculture. Whilst the town is undoubtedly moving with the times, it still retains its character as a market town.

  • Area: Approximately 5000 acres.
  • Population: Approximately 20,500. The published Electoral Roll for 1999/2000 shows 14,873 recorded electors (the remainder being school children and young persons under voting age).

The name ‘Hailsham’ is thought to come from the Saxon ‘Haegels Ham’, meaning the cleaning of Haegel, or possibly even ‘Aella’s Ham’, the cleaning of Aella the Saxon. The name of the town has changed through the ages to ‘Hamelsham’ (as it was referred to in the Domesday Book), ‘Aylesham’ in the 13th century, to its present spelling in the late 1600s.

The town of Hailsham was settled before the Romans and the Anglo Saxons. In the year 490 A.D., the Saxon invaders advanced along the coast from their original landing place at Selsey and, according to the Saxon Chronicle, attacked and took the British stronghold of Anderida which was the fort the Romans had built at what is now Pevensey, a few miles from Hailsham, thereby consolidating their conquest and forming the small kingdom of the South Saxons, or Sussex.

It was on the Pevensey Levels, which extend from Hailsham to the coast, that William of Normandy made his historic landing in 1066, for, in those days, the seashore was some distance inland – about halfway between Hailsham and the present beach along Pevensey Bay – and the ancient castle stood upon an island amongst the marshes of the River Ashburn.

The manor of Hailsham is recorded in the Domesday Survey completed by the Normans twenty years later.

There was some activity in this part of Sussex during the baronial wars and in the armed rivalry between Matilda and Stephen, the castle at Pevensey being garrisoned and held by opposing sides. Men of Hailsham may have taken part in the important battle of Lewes in 1264 when Simon de Montfort’s victory resulted in the establishment of the first principles of parliamentary representation.

During the seventeenth-century civil war between Charles I and Parliament, Hailsham and this part of Sussex declared against the royalist cause.

Little is known of the town of Hailsham before the 1086 Domesday Book, but evidence of a Roman road from Leap Cross across the Common, indicates some occupation prior to this.

Henry III granted the town a Market Charter in 1252 – 200 years before the discovery of America. Originally, the market was held in the High Street and in Market Square, only moving to its present location in 1868. Sheep and cattle were driven from miles around along the various ancient droves until the arrival of the railway station and motor lorries. Today, the weekly livestock markets, together with the monthly farmers’ market and Friday stall markets continue to serve the town and the wider rural economy.

  • 1154 to 1189: Sir Richard Covert of Bradbridge was Lord of the “Manor of Haylesham”.
  • 1228: Advowson of “Haylesham Church” granted to Michelham Priory.
  • 1234: Salt pan workings extracted salt from the tidal waters (hence, the areas of Saltmarsh and Marshfoot).
  • 1252: Henry III granted Market Charter to the Royal favourite, Peter of Savoy.
  • 1263: Gilbert, son of Gilbert Godseb drowned while bathing in “Haylesham Pond” (now known as the Common Pond.)
  • 1264: Benedict the Jew of “Heylesham” was “outlawed” (much as Robin Hood would have been) for clipping the King’s coin.
  • 1399 to 1413: Troy weights were introduced to the Market. Early consumer protections move.
  • 1425 to 1450: St Mary’s Church, Hailsham built (present structure).
  • 1540 to 1640: Hailsham was one of the chief centres of leatherwork and tanning (using local oak bark) due to being a thriving cattle market town.
  • 1542: Fleur-de-Lys Inn built in Market Street (later to be the Parish Workhouse, and now Town Council Offices).
  • 1559: Uprising of the inhabitants of Hailsham who burnt part of the church.
  • 1581: Manor of “Haylesham” granted to Gregory, Lord Dacre of Herstmonceux.
  • 1603: James VI of Scotland declared King of England – probably from the market cross in Market Square in “Haylysham”.
  • 1663: First five bells cast for Hailsham Church at Bellbanks (Common Pond) by John Hodson.
  • 1708: Hailsham Vicarage built next to Parish Church (now known as “The Grange”).
  • 1800: The Stone Cross in Market Square removed as being an obstacle to carts and wagons.
  • 1803: Barracks established on Hailsham Common (between Summerfields Road and London Road) to house troops for the war with France (dismantled in 1815 after success at Battle of Waterloo).
  • 1803: Grenadier Inn in High Street also built to meet needs of troops.
  • 1804: “Newhouse” built in George Street (later to be renamed “Cortland”).
  • 1807: Rope making started by Thomas Burfield.
  • 1827: National School built in South Road, Hailsham to replace one held in the Church by churchwarden Francis Howlett.
  • 1836: New “Union” Workhouse built at junction of Hellingly and Hailsham parish boundaries (serving needs of 12 parishes).
  • 1849: Hailsham Station and railway service to Polegate opened.
  • 1855: As a result of an Enclosure Award on Hailsham Common, the Recreation Ground in Western Road was created.
  • 1862: Hailsham Infants’ School built in the High Street (at the junction with North Street).
  • 1868: Market ceased to be held in High Street/Market Square – moved to new walled-in site in Market Street.
  • 1878: Hailsham Board School built in Battle Road (now Hailsham Community College).
  • 1880: Railway line extended northwards to Heathfield and Tunbridge Wells.
  • 1885: Water Works Company started supply from springs at Magham Down.
  • 1894: Austens gun shop burnt down where Victoria Gate now stands.
  • 1895: First Parish Council elections.
  • 1906: Hailsham Church obtained first pipe organ.
  • 1907: Telephone Exchange first installed in High Street.
  • 1921: Hailsham War Memorial erected.
  • 1943: Bomb fell near church destroying the Auxiliary Fire Station with the loss of one life.
  • 1951: Four of the Hailsham church bells were re-cast and all the bells re-hung.
  • 1965: Closure of the Cuckoo line to passenger traffic.
  • 1974: Hailsham Parish Council adopted the status of Town Council.
  • 1986: Major improvement works carried out to the 1.86 acre Common Pond site began, including the creation of a second central island.
  • 1988: The Quintin’s Shopping Centre in North Street opened to the public, named after Quintin Hogg, Baron Hailsham of Marylebone.
  • 1990: Cuckoo Trail opened to walkers, cyclists and horse riders.
  • 1993: The Hailsham Pavilion Cinema & Theatre refurbished.
  • 2000: The Hailsham Pavilion Cinema & Theatre re-opened to the public via funds raised by the Hailsham Old Pavilion Society (H.O.P.S.) to restore the old cinema. A 31-year lease was signed at a peppercorn rent.
  • 2007: Planning applications for the construction of an Aldi supermarket at the historic Hailsham Cattle Market site rejected by Wealden District Council.
  • 2012: Hailsham Market saved from development and operators South East Marts purchases the freehold of the site in Market Street, ending more than 15 years of uncertainty over the market’s future.

Glimpses of the town’s intriguing past are to be found in photographs and artefacts available for viewing at the Heritage Centre, Blackman’s Yard, Market Street, which is run by members of the Hailsham Historical and Natural History Society. A small but interesting display is available to members of the public including period kitchen, farming and agriculture, local industry and wartime memorabilia. The centre is open May to September (Fridays and Saturdays from 10.30am-12.30pm).

Situated in the county of East Sussex, within about 7 miles (11 km) of the coast and between the well-wooded hills of the southern Forest Ridge and the undulating chalk countryside of the South Downs, Hailsham is surrounded by much attractive and unspoilt scenery. Hailsham is already the largest settlement in the southern half of the Wealden district, and the largest inland town in East Sussex with around 8,500 homes and a population of just over 20,000.

Hailsham is 8 miles (13 km) north of Eastbourne; 24 miles (39 km) south of Tunbridge Wells; 18 miles (29 km) west of Hastings; and 14 miles (23 km) east of the County town of Lewes. London is some 57 miles (92 km) away.

Hailsham is ideally situated for ease of access to many of the larger towns of Sussex and the south coast, with their more extensive shopping centres and entertainment facilities, being centrally located within the Eastbourne/Hastings/Tunbridge Wells triangle. It is also within easy reach of airports, Channel ferry terminals, the Channel Tunnel and London.

  • Road: Hailsham is directly reached by road as the A22 from London to Eastbourne passes through the parish where it intersects main roads from Kent and from West Sussex (A27), including the road through Haywards Heath and Horsham to Guildford, and links with roads from the M25 and Midlands. Bus services link Hailsham with Lewes and Brighton, Uckfield, Polegate and Eastbourne, Battle, Bexhill and Hastings.

In Hailsham, there are three tiers of local government which manage between them the majority of local community services and amenities.

At the local level, Hailsham is represented by Hailsham Town Council. The councillors are elected from four wards: Hailsham Central and North Ward (7 seats); Hailsham East Ward (3 seats); Hailsham South and West Ward (10 seats) and Upper Horsebridge Ward (4 seats). Hailsham is the home of Wealden District Council. District Council Elections are held every four years. Fifty five Councillors in total are elected, six of these from the three wards that make up Hailsham. The next level of government is the East Sussex County Council with responsibility for Education, Libraries, Social Services, Civil Registration, Trading Standards and Transport. Elections for the County Council are held every four years. For these elections Hailsham is combined with Herstmonceux to return two seats.

Wealden is the parliamentary constituency that covers Hailsham, much of the Wealden area and parts of Eastbourne, Lewes and Battle. At European level, Hailsham is represented by the South-East region, which holds ten seats in the European Parliament.

Hailsham itself has a long but uneventful history. Many years ago it became the market town for the prosperous surrounding agricultural district and it continues to be so although there are now many local light industrial undertakings.

Hailsham was granted a charter to hold a market in 1252 by King Henry III. From 1997 to 2012, there was much controversy over the sale of Hailsham Cattle Market and its redevelopment into a supermarket. The land freehold was, until being sold to market operator South East Marts in January 2012., owned by supermarket chain Aldi who planned to build a supermarket on the site, although the amended planning application was rejected by Wealden District Council in November 2007. Should the market have closed as a result of development, the nearest alternatives would have been in Ashford, Kent or Salisbury, Wiltshire. Local MP Charles Hendry, the National Farmers Union amongst others spoke out against closure. and the Public Inquiry lodged by Aldi against the District Council’s decision to refuse planning permission commenced on 11 February 2009 and ended on 19 February 2009.

Hailsham’s traditional industry was rope making, which included supplying ropes for public hanging to Great Britain and the Colonies. Presently, light industry survives in two large industrial estates to the west of the town, located in Diplocks Way and Station Road, and several smaller ones including those situated in Hackhurst Lane (Lower Dicker) and north of Old Swan Lane, all of which provide a source of employment for local residents.

Whilst being largely rural in character, Hailsham can still boast a variety of local and national shops, restaurants and several supermarkets throughout the town.

In the past few decades, the main shopping area in Hailsham has developed along the High Street and George Street. A parade of units at St Mary’s Walk made a significant contribution to the variety and quality of independently owned retail facilities in Hailsham.

The Quintins development, located beside the longer-established Vicarage Field precinct, was opened to the public in the late 1980s, creating a more central focus for shopping in Hailsham. The shopping centre was named after Quintin Hogg, Baron Hailsham of St Marylebone. At the heart of the centre was the Co-operative (supermarket) until its closure on 15 July 2011. There is a Waitrose supermarket nearby in Vicarage Field, which was previously a Somerfield store.

Another supermarket, Tesco, was granted planning permission for a new store on land in North Street. Building work began in 2007 and the store opened on 3 November 2008. The Tesco plans have been the subject of much debate in the town over the past 15 years, with some local councillors disagreeing with the planned development. Another supermarket, Lidl, also plan to open a supermarket at the new Ropemaker Park development, on the former site of the Marlow Ropes factory. Plans to redevelop the Quintins Centre car park to include provision for a 1,407 square metre food store, additional units to the North Street frontage and a new car park deck have undergone public consultation and been approved by Wealden District Council.

Hailsham competes with nearby towns such as Eastbourne for both convenience goods (day to day) shopping and higher order durable goods shopping. A retail study commissioned by Wealden District Council for the non-statutory local plan indicated that Hailsham town centre could support around 1,600 square metres net of additional convenience goods floorspace by 2014. The study also indicated that there was scope in expenditure terms for 2,100 square metres net durable goods floor space in the town centre.

Within the main shopping area in Hailsham, as indicated in the Hailsham & Hellingly Masterplan, the Council aims to improve the quality of shopping facilities by encouraging small-scale redevelopments, the refurbishment and annexation of existing premises, and better and more sympathetic shop signs and frontages.

Hailsham Farmers’ Market operates on the second Saturday of each month in the Cattle Market located in Market Street, from 9.00am to 12.30pm. Local food producers offer a variety of fresh meat, fruit and vegetables, dairy products, honey, bread, cakes, eggs, pies, and jams and pickles.

Established in 1998, Hailsham Farmers’ Market is based in the only active Livestock Market in East and West Sussex, and is living proof that Farmers’ Markets are a vital link between the farmer and the consumer all round.

Extensive development has taken place in Hailsham since 1945 by private developers, with the northern part of the town now largely developed right up to the boundary with Hellingly. Wealden planning policies will result in further development in and around Hailsham, together with increased local infrastructure and services. These developments will add growth to the town and could result in an expansion of its amenities once completed.

The Hailsham & Hellingly Masterplan, submitted to Wealden District Council as supplementary planning guidance in 2009, has taken a holistic approach to the town’s infrastructure: roads; sewerage and drainage; transport; retail; employment land; housing; healthcare; education and training; leisure, recreation and the arts. Among the Masterplan’s proposals are long-term visualisations for the town’s roads, including two major (new) relief roads which would make the High Street and town centre more pedestrian-friendly, a community-based diagnostic and treatment centre with GP surgeries, and a community park/complex.

Hailsham is near the junction of two major roads, the A22 road to Eastbourne and the A27 South Coast Trunk Road. Both of them (the latter especially) have frequent congestion and traffic problems due to roundabouts and short single carriageway stretches.

Hailsham is served by Stagecoach Buses on routes that serve the town, extending to Eastbourne, Bexhill and Uckfield). Cuckmere Community Bus, an independent charity run by volunteers, provides supplementary bus links into Hailsham to and from neighbouring villages. The Hailsham Bus Alliance was set up by Hailsham Town Council in January 2012 to drive forward improvements to the planning of bus routes and bus stop networks.

Hailsham used to have a railway station on the Cuckoo Line, running from Polegate to Tunbridge Wells. The line from Polegate was opened in May 1849 and finally closed as part of the Beeching cuts in 1968. The southern 12 miles (19 km) of disused line between Polegate and Heathfield is now a cycleway-footpath known as the Cuckoo Trail. Hailsham Railway station outlived the rest of the Cuckoo Line by three years, the section north of Hailsham closing to passenger traffic in 1965. The track was retained with a weekly freight service until April 1968, when a bridge at nearby hamlet Horsebridge was damaged by a road vehicle. With the whole line due for closure, the damaged railway infrastructure was never repaired.

The closure of the section from Polegate to Hailsham was disputed — British Railways going so far as to admit that the town was growing at the time of closure and that the town would soon outgrow other public transport. Despite this, passenger services finished on 9 September 1968 with the final train, composed of two Diesel Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU) units, leaving Hailsham station to the sound of detonators on the line and the tune of Auld Lang Syne sang by a large crowd who had gathered. After 119 years of railway operation into Hailsham, the line was gone.

As part of the planning requirements for the current Welbury and Woodholm Farm development and as outlined in the Hailsham & Hellingly Masterplan  proposal, plans to build an additional community sports hall and formal play facilities in Hailsham are being discussed. The new sports facility will accommodate a wider variety of users, meeting the demands of the growing local sports community.

Hailsham is the home of Wealden Brass, a brass band which rehearses at Union Corner Hall. The band was formed in February 1979 and held its first practice in the Church at Vines Cross on the 6th of March 1979. The Hailsham Choral Society, founded in 1961, performs several concerts in Hailsham and neighbouring towns throughout the year.

Four pubs remain in the three streets that make up the triangle of Hailsham Town Centre including: The Grenadier; The Corn Exchange; and The Terminus. The fourth, ‘The George’, closed in June 2008 due to financial pressures, but reopened in December 2008 under new ownership. The Corn Exchange also operates as a nightclub on weekend nights. In addition, Hailsham has several members’ clubs in the town centre including: Slate Base; the Hailsham Memorial Institute and The Hailsham Club (known locally as The Top Club). Local public houses and inns that have vanished over the years include: The Railway Tavern, The Good Intent; The Fox; The Black Horse Inn; The Swan Inn; The Market House; The Cow and The Brewers Arms (formerly the Railway Arms).

Hailsham Pavilion is a Grade II listed cinema and concert hall built in 1921. After remaining empty, it was refurbished in 1993 and reopened in 2000. Hailsham Pavilion was originally opened as a cinema on 28 November 1921 by local Justice A.K. Burtenshaw JP, with The Kid starring and directed by Charlie Chaplin as the first picture.

Following many years of service, Hailsham Pavilion closed as a cinema in 1965. It served as a bingo hall until 1987, before being purchased by Wealden District Council using a Compulsory Purchase Order, after its owners fell into receivership. By 1999, the Hailsham Old Pavilion Society (H.O.P.S.) had raised enough money to restore the old cinema and signed a 31-year lease at a peppercorn rent.

Summerheath Hall also serves regularly as a theatre to Hailsham, and has a long history of being home to amateur dramatic players, whose regular musical and drama performances have been presented there since the early 1930s. A number of other local theatrical and drama groups use the hall as a “theatre” venue for productions on less frequent occasions.

Hailsham has one major fine art gallery, Gallery North in North Street. Since the Gallery North project began in November 2004, they have showcased the work of over 200 artists, organised numerous art workshops, courses and events (including the formation and promotion of Hailsham’s first Arts Festival).

The Hailsham Town Crest was originally designed by a parish councillor (unknown) and adopted by Hailsham Town Council for use on all official documents. It was created by a local resident in the form of a shield, which was presented to the Council, and now hangs in the Town Council offices at The Inglenook in Market Street. The resident responsible for painting the shield was Mr P.V. Collings, a reitired artist assigned to produce work for the Royal Family.

The shield is divided into four sectors. The upper left of these shows the six gold martlets and crown of the armorial bearings of the County of East Sussex. The remaining three quadrants each depict a facet of the town’s history or culture.

The upper right shows a sheaf of corn, crook and rake, to illustrate the agricultural and rural connection from which Hailsham derived its status as a market town. The lower right shows a mill, of which Hailsham originally had several of this type – although it is believed that this represents the last surviving mill – Hamlin’s Mill in Mill Road (the remains of ancillary buildings can still be seen) and again represents Hailsham’s close connection with the farming industry.

Finally, the lower left quadrant depicts a ball of twine and rope “dolly”, representing Hailsham’s later entry into light industry, in the form of ropemaking, which supported several factories and numerous “ropewalks” within the town’s boundaries. These have all but disappeared, with the Marlow Ropes factory in South Road, relocating in 2006.

A main event in the town’s calendar is its celebration of Guy Fawkes Night, held annually in October. An average attendance of 3,000+ people descend upon the town centre to witness the event, organised by the Hailsham Bonfire Society. Additional town festivities include the Hailsham Carnival, held each summer and organised by the Lark In The Park Charitable Trust and partner organisations, an annual Charter Market and various Christmas activities, which have been coordinated by Hailsham Town Council, Hailsham & District Chamber of Commerce, Hailsham Lions’ Club, Hailsham Rotary Club and St Wilfrid’s Hospice in recent years.

Many older parts of Hailsham have been lost to redevelopment prior to preservation orders being introduced. However, the present town retains a number of buildings which display evidence of antiquity. The houses are mainly Victorian in character with more modern residential developments around the original town centre.

  • War memorial – The High Street’s war memorial was unveiled on 28 November 1920 by Lord Leconfield, the then Lord Lieutenant of the County. It records the loss to the community of the eighty-six men killed in World War I and a further thirty-five lost during the Second World War. The memorial comprises a wheel cross with Celtic lettering under which the names of the dead are listed on two tablets.
  • St Mary’s Church – St Mary’s Church is a grade-listed building and dates back to the early 15th century, although there is evidence of a church on this site in the early 13th century. The building was substantially rebuilt in Victorian times. Five of the peal of eight bells date from 1663 and three from 1889. The present clock was installed to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
  • The Old Vicarage – Now ‘The Grange’, the Old Vicarage was built 1701-1705 for the Reverend Thomas Hooper as a vicarage for the adjacent church. The architectural style of the house exemplifies what many refer to as the Mary-Anne style which reflect the Dutch domesticity of the William and Mary period, combined with the more grand and formal style of the Queen Anne period, is an early 18th century residence and a Grade II listed building.
  • Fleur de Lys and Inglenook – The ‘Fleur de Lys’ and ‘Inglenook’ in Market Street – one building divided in two in the late 19th century, but now reinstated as one – was originally built in the reign of Elizabeth I (1542) as part of the original hostelry of the town. Later to become the Workhouse, after which it was converted to shops and residential dwellings, it is now the Hailsham Town Council’s offices and meeting room.
  • The Grenadier – In 1803, Hailsham Barracks were built to quarter troops intended to man the Martello towers, which defended the Pevensey areas from Napoleon. It is believed that The Grenadier was built to serve troops stationed at the barracks. The barracks were closed after the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815.
  • The Old Court House – The Old Court House was erected in 1861 consisting of a Court Room together with an office and residence for the Police Superintendent. Prior to 1861, the first Police Station was located at the top of Hailsham High Street. Offenders were placed in the stocks situated in front of the Terminus Hotel, and a gibbet was built on the corner of Summerheath Road and Western Road.
  • The Stone – A grade II listed building, ‘The Stone’ is probably the oldest house in Hailsham and possibly named after an old boundary stone in the grounds, and originally built around 1320 in the style of the Wealden Hall houses. Featuring inglenook fireplaces, a bread oven, a priest hide, and with evidence of early sliding shuttered windows, it was once owned by Cardinal Wolsley.
  • Cortlandt – Originally called ‘Newhouse’, Cortlandt was renamed after one of its previous occupants, Philip van Courtlandt, an American who fought on the British side in the American War of Independence. The renaming was undertaken by William Strickland.
  • The Old Court House – Erected in 1861 consisting of a Court Room together with an office and residence for the Police Superintendent, The Old Court House was, prior to 1861, the first Police Station in Hailsham.
  • The Old Brewery – Built in 1827 by Thomas Gooch from Norfolk, The Old Brewery was renowned for strong beers. The building was used by a succession of brewers and was, for a while, used as a Catholic place of worship.
  • Hamlin’s Mill – The one mill believed to be the town’s last surviving one was Hamlin’s Mill (where the remains of the mill’s ancillary buildings can still be seen today). The mill was a smock type built in 1834, and was destroyed by fire on 17 November 1923. It was replaced by a powder mill, but by 1969, it was being used as a sack mill when it was again destroyed by fire.
  • Harebeating Mill – Harebeating Mill, a post mill located at St Wilfrid’s Green just off the top of Hailsham High Street, was previously known as Kenward’s Mill. Only the lower floor of the mill remains and this, together with a more modern upper storey, has been converted into a private house.
  • Michelham Priory – Michelham Priory at Upper Dicker in Hailsham, was founded for Augustinian Canons in 1229 in the Sussex Weald. It is surrounded by a great medieval moat, with 7 acres of lawns and gardens. Parts of the Priory buildings were destroyed at the Dissolution in 1636, and the remaining buildings formed the nucleus of a fine Tudor house built in the late 16th century. The property was owned by the Sackville family from 1603 to 1897 and was given to the Sussex Archeological Trust in 1959.
  • Hailsham Country Park covers approximately 22 acres and incorporates woodland, an open field area, wildflower meadow, two ponds and a lake. A water course skirts the open field area and all-weather footpaths can be found throughout the park to encourage people of all ages to enjoy this precious open space area. The various woodland sites within the Country Park have a very good selection of tree species including birch, oak, ash, maple and wild cherry. Wildlife residing in the area includes voles, mice, lizards and weasels. The Hailsham Country Park received South & South East in Bloom Silver Awards in 2009 and 2010, in recognition of the efforts of volunteers to restore the park’s wildflower meadow and the planting of additional trees in recent years.
  • The Common Pond in Bellbanks Road has been a focal point in Hailsham for centuries and is considered to be the town’s “Jewel In The Crown”. The commons were largely enclosed in 1855, but the pond area was retained by the lord of the manor, Lord Sackville. It was finally bought by the Council in 1922 for £300, and became a public open space. Major improvement works to the 1.86 acre site began in 1996. The pond base was then excavated and surplus clay used to extend the existing central island, before the construction of a second island and a sloping marginal wetland area along and over a section of the south perimeter wall.
  • The Dennis King Memorial Orchard & Sensory Garden was officially opened in 2010 to help reverse the trend in the loss of traditional English orchards and create a fully accessible community garden for local residents. Advice and recommendations were received from the East Sussex Association of Blind and Partially Sighted People (ESAB) and Thrive, a national charity dedicated to enabling positive change in the lives of disabled and disadvantaged people through the use of gardening and horticulture.
  • Burfield Park – In 1807, Thomas Burfield, a local saddle maker, founded his rope company in Hailsham. Ropes were produced for the demands of the re-emerging yachting industry, which was just recovering after World War II. Furthermore, all the official hangman’s ropes used here and in the colonies were made in Hailsham. Today, Marlow Ropes has a brand new purpose-built factory and warehouse, and continues to manufacture quality British ropes on the same site as Thomas Burfield over 200 years ago.
  • Market Square – the site of the original market, with sellers spreading out into the adjoining roads. A market cross was erected in the square to make sure all deals were seen to be “done in the sight of the Lord.” The cross was removed in c.1880, to allow carts to turn the corners of the roads leading to the square.
  • Amberstone Farm – On Sunday 26 June 1814, the Emperor of Russia, the King of Prussia and their suites halted on their way to Dover at Amberstone Farm, which, at the time, was in the hands of Samuel Rickman, whose son was born soon afterwards. The child was by imperial request, named Alexander.

Hailsham is twinned with Gournay-en-Bray, France.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.