Caistor is a town and civil parish situated in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. As its name implies, it was originally a Roman castrum or fortress. It lies at the north-west edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds, on the Viking Way, and just off the A46 between Lincoln and Grimsby, at the A46, A1084, A1173 and B1225 junction. It has a population of 2,601. Its name comes from the Anglo-Saxon ceaster (“Roman camp” or “town”) and was given in the Domesday Book as Castre.
Only a few fragments of the 4th century walls remain; for example, the original Roman wall is visible on the southern boundary of the parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul. The area occupied by the fortress is now classified as a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The church of St. Peter and St. Paul which is enclosed within the fortress has an Anglo-Saxon tower. The market square lies at the heart of a conservation area which contains 56, mainly grade II, listed buildings. In numerical terms, the number of listed buildings makes Caistor the most important Conservation Area in the West Lindsey area; many of the buildings are Georgian or Victorian. Notable buildings in the town include Caistor Grammar School, founded in 1633, and Sessions House, built in 1662.
In 2010, the remains of a 4th century Roman cemetery were found during the development of a new Co-op supermarket.
Opened in 1940, RAF Caistor was built as a relief airfield for RAF Kirton in Lindsey, and also used for flying training from its grass runways. Closed in 1945, it later reopened as a nuclear missile base.
Between 1959 and 1963 Caistor was manned by 269(SM) Sqn. equipped with three Thor missiles. The site has now returned to agricultural use, and little remains of the military facilities.
Audleby is a hamlet just north of Fonaby. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book as having 33 households, which at the time was considered quite large. Today it is listed as a deserted medieval village, or DMV. Audleby House on Brigg Road is a grade II listed building.
Fonaby is a hamlet and deserted medieval village just north of Caistor, mentioned in the Domesday Book as having 18 households and three acres of meadow, and held by William I.