Burnham Market

Street Map

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Burnham norfolk” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Burnham Market is a village and civil parish near the north coast of Norfolk, England. Burnham Market is one of the Burnhams, a group of adjacent villages in North Norfolk. It is the result of the merger of three of the original Burnham villages, namely Burnham Sutton, Burnham Ulph and Burnham Westgate.

Burnham Market lies approximately 1 mile (2 km) inland, some 5 miles (8 km) west of Wells-next-the-Sea, 12 miles (19 km) east of Hunstanton and 10 miles (16 km) north of Fakenham. The smaller villages of Burnham Deepdale and Burnham Norton are within 2 miles (3 km) to the west and north of Burnham Market, whilst Burnham Overy and Burnham Thorpe are a similar distance to the east. North Creake is some 4 miles (6 km) to the south. The larger town of King’s Lynn is 20 miles (30 km) to the south-west, whilst the city of Norwich is 30 miles (50 km) to the south-east.

The civil parish has an area of 18.43 km2 and in the 2001 census had a population of 948 in 496 households. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk.

Burnham Market is close to the mouth of the River Burn and the name Burnham probably derives from this. However another theory is that the town was a centre for the amber trade. As the name implies, historically Burnham had a market and was therefore considered a town, however that market was discontinued several years before 1854. Today Burnham Market is more normally considered a village, albeit one slightly larger and considerably busier than its immediate neighbours.

In recent times Burnham Market has attracted a significant number of second-home owners, mostly affluent residents of London, and in consequence acquired a somewhat metropolitan atmosphere. Long term local residents often refer to the village as Chelsea-on-sea, after the up-market London district of Chelsea. One of the factors driving this movement is the presence of the up-market pub and restaurant, the Hoste Arms, named after Captain William Hoste or his family.

The village was served by a railway until 1952, connected to the east with Wells-next-the-Sea and Holkham, and to the west with Hunstanton.

The village has two Anglican parish churches and that of Burnham Norton is on the northern outskirts. The largest is St. Mary’s at Burnham Westgate while All Saints’ Church at the eastern end of the town is known as Sutton-cum-Ulph because it incorporated the parish and some of the stone of St. Ethelbert’s at Burnham Sutton, some four hundred yards to the south, when Horatio Nelson’s father Edmund was rector of both churches in the 1760s and 70s. These three parishes, with the parishes of Burnham Overy and Burnham Thorpe (birthplace of Nelson), form the single benefice, the Burnhams Benefice.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.