Burgh-le-Marsh is a town to the west of Skegness in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. The A158 used to run through from west to east but this was rerouted when a new bypass opened in late 2007. The village has a population of 2,016.
The town is built on a large hill surrounded by former marsh land, and the marsh influenced the town’s name, Burgh Le Marsh. Both the windmill and church are visible from far distances. The bypass was opened on 30 November 2007, having started in September 2006, and has reduced traffic congestion dramatically. A Roman road passes through the town on the way to Skegness, and comes from the north-west via Tetford and Ulceby. The town is on the site of a former Roman fort.
Near the parish church is a large mound, where Saxon burial remains were found during the 1930s. There is a dip in the top of the mound, it is suggested that it was used for cockfighting, and to this day it is known as Cock Hill.
There is a traditional butcher, baker and convenience shops. There is also a fishmonger, a post office, a Chinese takeaway, a fish and chip shop, a library, a market, an estate agent and a florist.
Local public houses include the Fleece Inn on the Market Square, the Red Lion in Storey’s Lane, and the Bell Hotel, White Hart Hotel, White Swan and Ye Olde Burgh Inn on the High Street.
Burgh-le-Marsh Grade I listed Anglican parish church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul. There is a Baptist church and Methodist chapel.
There was once a Burgh-le-Marsh railway station on the line between Boston and Louth, but it is now closed.
The town has two tower mills, the untarred Hanson’s Mill of 1855 (originally four-sailed), now a residence, and the tarred Dobson’s Mill, which is run as a museum. Built in 1813 by Sam Oxley (who also built Alford Windmill a sister mill in the nearby town of Alford, Lincolnshire) it is unusual in being the only left-handed tower mill having five sails. “Left-handed sails” mean they rotate clockwise when viewed from the front – a very rare type of windmill.
Burgh le Marsh is twinned with the town of Beaumont-sur-Sarthe in the Pays de la Loire in France. This twinning began in 1988 and has celebrated its 20th Anniversary. The celebrations took place on the weekend of 10 May 2008. The Chairman of the Burgh le Marsh Twinning Association is Neil Cooper and for the Beaumont sur Sarthe Twinning Association is Claude Menard.