Barton-upon-Humber

Street Map Our Photos

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Barton-upon-Humber” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Barton-upon-Humber or Barton is a town and civil parish in North Lincolnshire, England. It is situated on the south bank of the Humber Estuary, and at the end of the Humber Bridge. It lies 46 miles (74 km) east of Leeds, 6 miles (10 km) south-west of Hull and 31 miles (50 km) north north-east of the county town of Lincoln. Other nearby towns include Scunthorpe to the south-west and Grimsby to the south-east.

The town is the northern terminus at Barton station of a branch line (Barton – Cleethorpes), opened in 1849, from Grimsby and Cleethorpes. Services are provided by Northern Rail. The A15 passes to the west of the town cutting through the Beacon Hill, and has a junction with the A1077 Ferriby Road. The B1218 passes north-south through the town, and leads to Barton Waterside eventually. Kimberly-Clark have a factory on Falkland Way close to the railway, which is known to them as their Barton Plant. This area is known as the Humber Bridge Industrial Estate.

Barton is on the south bank of the Humber estuary and is at the southern end of the Humber Bridge. The Viking Way starts near the bridge.

The town is known for its Saxon church tower of St Peter’s, and there have been many Saxon archaeological finds within the town. An Anglo-Saxon inhumation cemetery at Castledyke South, in use from the late fifth or early sixth century until the late 7th century, was investigated and partially excavated 1975-90: the skeletal remains of 227 individuals were identified, including one who had undergone (and survived) trepanning. The church was reopened in May 2007 as a resource for medical research into the development of diseases, and ossuary, containing the bones and skeletons of some 2,750 people whose remains were removed between 1978 and 1984 from the 1,000 year old burial site, after the Church of England made the church redundant in 1972.The significance of the human remains lies in their representing the pathology of an isolated community over the period ca.950-ca1850. The excavation report on what is believed to be England’s most extensively investigated parish church, including a volume on the human remains, was published 2007-11.

A ferry to Hull began in 1351, being granted by Edward II running until 1851, but this was superseded by a ferry at New Holland which began in 1820.

In 1880 Frank Hopper started a bicycle repair business in a former blacksmith’s shop in the town. He soon began manufacturing bicycles, and after buying the Elswick Cycle Company of Elswick in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1910, developed the renamed Elswick Hopper into a major manufacturer. Listed on the London Stock Exchange from 1930, the company had expanded into a diverse engineering, manufacturing and distribution conglomerate by the late 1970s. After moving residual UK bicycle manufacture to Brigg in the late 1980s, the now renamed Falcon Cycles division was sold to investors in the early 1990s. Elswick plc itself was sold in 1994, at which point it closed its offices in the town. The former head office at the junction of Brigg Road and Holydyke was converted into apartments in 2006.The Barton Racing Pigeon Club as we know it today, was formed around 1971, and is just coming up to its 40th anniversary The club has spent most of its time in premises at the White Swan hotel in Barton, although the membership numbers are not as high as they were in the 70s & 80s , the club is still going strong In its forty years history the club has always been outstanding in its racing achievements, racing distances from fifty to five hundred miles into France, and no more so then when Gordon King won certificates two years running in the British Barcelona Clubs races from Spain, flying a distance of almost 1000 miles. The club has a very impressive array of trophies that are competed for every year, The club would welcome new members, and would make them very welcome.

There are two churches in Barton-upon-Humber, St Peter’s and St Mary’s. Unusually for large mediaeval churches in a small town, they are located only about five hundred feet apart. St Peter’s is a large, mostly Anglo-Saxon, church and predates St Mary’s — which may have originated as a chapel on the original market place, enlarged and increasing in importance as the town’s trade thrived in the 12th and 13th centuries.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.