Bampton

Bampton, also called Bampton-in-the-Bush, is a settlement and civil parish in the Thames Valley about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) southwest of Witney in Oxfordshire. The parish includes the hamlet of Weald. The 2011 Census recorded the parish’s population as 2,564.

Bampton is variously referred to as both a town and a village. The Domesday Book recorded that it was a market town by 1086. It continued as such until the 1890s. It has both a town hall and a village hall.

The core of Bampton is on gravel terraces formed of Summertown-Radley or flood plain terrace deposits.

The origins of Bampton go back to the Iron Age and Roman times. The earliest settlement was probably somewhat to the east of the centre of Bampton today, the triangular space known as Market Square.

Bampton was an important place in Saxon and medieval times.

US troops were billeted in Bampton at various times during the Second World War.

Bampton was used for exterior shots of the fictional village of Downton, North Yorkshire in ITV’s period drama TV series Downton Abbey.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.