Alford (pronounced “Olford”) is a town in Lincolnshire, England, with a population of about 3,500. It lies at the foot of the Lincolnshire Wolds, 13 miles (21 km) north-west of Skegness.
Alford is known for its five-sailed windmill, a tower mill built in 1837 by Sam Oxley, an Alford millwright. In its heyday it was capable of grinding 4 to 5 tons of corn per day. The mill operated until 1955. After two years’ standing idle, it was restored to full working order. It is used commercially to produce stone-ground organic flour and cereal. It is the only windmill surviving in Alford. In 1932 there were three, each with a different number of sails (four, five and six).
It is one of several working windmills in Lincolnshire. Others can be found at Lincoln, Heckington, Boston,Waltham, Kirton in Lindsey, Sibsey and Burgh le Marsh.
The town is known for its Manor House, reputedly the largest thatched manor house in the country. In 2006 it was refurbished through National Lottery funding in association with English Heritage; the refurbishment led to the installation of new interactive exhibitions and increased accessibility for disabled visitors. The manor house has a tea room and open gardens.
St Wilfrid’s, Alford is the parish church in Alford located at the junction between Church Street, South Street and West Street. The church operates services and holds annual events such as a flower show. Alford also has a small Methodist church.