Adlington

Street Map

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Adlington Lancashire” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Adlington is a town and civil parish in Lancashire, England, near the West Pennine Moorsand the town of Chorley. Six miles northwest of Bolton, it became a separate parish in 1842 then grew into a town around the textile industry. It has a population of 5,270.

The last element ‘ington’ indicates that Adlington was an Anglo-Saxon settlement from about A.D. 650, while the first element is either a personal name, Eadwulf, or the Aethling or Prince. Recorded spellings include, in 1190 Edeluinton, in 1202 Adelventon, in 1246 Adelinton and, in 1288 Adlington.

Adlington was part of the Penwortham barony granted to Randle de Marsey and later held by the Ferrers. In 1184 Hugh Gogard granted land to Cockersand Abbey. In 1202 Walter de Adlington granted six oxgangs of land to Siward de Duxbury. In 1230 Roger de Maresheya sold the township to the Earl of Chester.  In 1288 Hugh de Adlington and Adam de Duxbury each held a moiety of the manor of William de Ferrers.  The Duxbury portion was sold early in the 14th century and subdivided; several local families holding fractions.  Land belonging to the St. Nicholas chantry in Standish Church was acquired by William Heaton, who died in 1619.  John Pilkington, who had taken up arms for the king, but later took the side of Parliament in the Civil War, had his estate sequestered.

In the Middle Ages Adlington was a township in the ecclesiastical parish of Standish in the Leyland Hundred of Lancashire. In 1837, Adlington joined with other townships (or civil parishes) in the area to form the Chorley Poor Law Union which took responsibility for the administration and funding of the Poor Law in that area.  A local board was formed in 1872 was replaced by an urban district council of twelve members in 1894.

The town forms part of Chorley Borough which has headquarters at the town hall in Chorley. Adlington is part of the Chorley parliamentary constituency.

Adlington lies towards the north-east of the township, its area is 1,064 acres. Its south-east boundary is the River Douglas and the Buckow Brook separates the township from Worthington to the west. The Ellerbeck is the boundary with Duxbury.

Adlington’s economy was based on cotton mills and coal pits but the majority of these traditional industries have disappeared and the town primarily serves as a residential settlement for commuters working in Manchester, Bolton, Wigan and Chorley. Construction company Leonard Fairclough & Son was founded and based in the town before becoming part of the bigger AMEC group. AMEC left Adlington in the mid naughties and the site is occupied by a call centre. Today industries are concentrated on an industrial estate. Pincroft printing works and the headquarters and main warehouse of Andrew Porter, one of the countries biggest removal and haulage firms are in the town.

Adlington’s main road is the A6 from Manchester via Blackrod to Chorley and Preston. It has a junction with the B6227 towards Rivington. The M61 motorway passes the eastern fringe of the town.

Adlington railway station is on the Manchester to Preston Line. Another station, White Bear railway station, was located in Station Road, on the Lancashire Union Railway between Wigan and Blackburn. The station closed in the 1960s with the ticket office remaining as a local cafe. Evidence can be found throughout Adlington of the town’s lost line.

The Leeds and Liverpool Canal passes through Adlington where the White Bear Marina is the largest marina on the canal.

The town has three active churches; St.Paul’s which is the Church of England Parish Church, St.Joseph’s a Roman Catholic Church and the United Reformed and Methodist Church on Railway Road.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

 

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.