Addlestone

Street Map

[amazon_carousel widget_type=”SearchAndAdd” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”GB” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” keywords=”Addlestone” browse_node=”” search_index=”Books” /]

Addlestone (/ˈædəlstən/) is a town in the borough of Runnymede in the county of Surrey, England noted for its ancient ‘Crouch Oak’. It is by Junction 11 of the M25 motorway, is served by Addlestone railway station on the Chertsey Branch Line and has a direct bus service to Heathrow Airport (bus 51). The M25 motorway passes to the west of the town proper. Its main road is Station Road which has many shops, two supermarkets, a doctors’ NHS surgery, the Aviator business park and the Eileen Tozer Day Centre and joins in to surrounding A-roads. Runnymede’s council civic centre is also located on Station Road.

The name Addlestone probably means “Attel’s Denu”; the valley belonging to a Saxon named Attel. In 1241 the place was listed as Attelsdene and by 1610 John Speede’s map shows Adleston halfway between “St. Annhill” and “St. Georg Hill”, just south of the Thames. Addlestone is mentioned in H.G Wells’ book The War of the Worlds, in which the second of ten Martian invasion ships (called ‘cylinders’) landed at the Addlestone Golf Links.

The Crouch Oak, an oak tree believed to have originated in the 11th Century, is an important symbol of the town. It used to mark the boundary of Windsor Great Park. Legend says that Queen Elizabeth I stopped by it and had a picnic. The tree is one of the main historic features of the town, and consequently several local businesses use its name in their title. In September 2007 the tree suffered an arson attack yet has survived.

Adam de Woburn lived at Woburn Park in 1260 where famed gardener Philip Southcote chose to construct in the 1740s CE a two-storey house, also named Woburn Park, with an original ornamented farm (‘ferme ornée) on Woburn Hill with fields for cattle or crops, decorated with statues, grotto, vases, temples, archways and other features, much of which survives as part of St George’s RC College. On Station Road, a large Blériot aircraft factory was built in 1917 and the several hundred aeroplanes produced here were taken by road to Brooklands for final assembly and test flying. In the 1950s the site was taken over by Weymann to build buses and coaches who built the prototype of the Routemaster bus before ceasing trade in the mid 1960s. After, part of the site was used by Caddy’s who built taxis. In early 1967, Plessey moved from Chessington and took over this factory. In 1990, the site was used by Marconi. All these companies were important local employers. By 2000 the site was derelict and has since been demolished and redeveloped as a business park called Aviator Park, reminiscent of its original use.

Note: this page is partly based on a Wikipedia page. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Where possible, text is being updated to original, fully referenced research. ‘Our photos’ means we took the photographs. The Street View and street map visuals are courtesy of Google.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.